Get your kids in the kitchen this holiday season with these easy-to-make recipes…
3 cups fresh cranberries
2 large apples; peeled, cored and chopped into small chunks
1 ½ cups sugar
¾ cup water
¾ cup apples juice
• Rinse the cranberries and remove stems.
• In a saucepan, bring sugar, water and apple juice to a boil.
• Add berries and diced apples. Boil, stirring continuously, for 10 minutes.
• Serve warm, or cover and refrigerate until chilled (about 3 hours).
Measure ingredients, rinse cranberries, and dice apples with a small plastic knife.
5 large potatoes, peeled and grated
1 onion, peeled and grated
1 tsp. salt
Canola oil for frying
• Mix together grated potatoes and onions
• Add eggs, salt and pepper. Mix with a wooden spoon.
• Pour enough oil into a frying pan to just barely cover the bottom. Carefully place large spoonfuls of latke batter into the pan.
• On a medium flame, fry latkes for about 5 minutes on each side, until they are brown.
• Place them on a paper towel to cool, and to absorb excess oil.
• Serve warm, with applesauce.
Peel and grate potatoes and onions, crack the eggs, mix the batter, and place batter on the pan.
Anne Marie Kuchera, our Kids Plus Nutrition Consultant, is a Licensed Professional Counselor and Registered Dietitian.