The Kids + Podcast
Listen. Learn. Grow.
In an age of fake news, alternative facts, and the rampant, dangerous spread of medical misinformation. we’re taking science back — one episode at a time.
25. Public Health & Science Communication (w/ Katrine Wallace), 7/27/21
Epidemiologist and science communicator Katrine Wallace, Ph.D., talks about the importance of good public health communication, the power of evidence-based communication on social media, and the proliferation of COVID vaccine myths and misinformation.
24. Social Media & Disinformation (w/ Savannah Malm), 7/6/21
Pharmacist, International Board-Certified Lactation Consultant, and social media rock star Savannah Malm, Pharm.D., talks about the important work of, and the inevitable backlash for, fighting online mis- and disinformation in the age of COVID.
23. Racial Learning & Community (w/ Melissa Giraud & Andrew Grant-Thomas), 3/1/21
Melissa Giraud and Andrew Grant-Thomas, co-founders of Embrace Race, talk about the work, resources, and community necessary to raise children who are “thoughtful, informed, and brave about race.”
22. Childhood Grief & Bereavement (w/ Dr. David Schonfeld), 1/22/21
Dr. David Schonfeld, Director of the National Center for School Crisis and Bereavement, provides an expert look at how to help children process grief and loss in their lives.
21. Potty Training & Parenting Philosophy (w/ Matt Bittner), 1/5/21
Occupational therapist Matt Bittner returns to talk about readiness, and strategies for, as well as the importance of structure, routine, and expectation when, potty training children.
20. COVID-19 & Pandemic Updates (w/ Dr. Andy Nowalk), 12/11/20
Infectious disease expert Dr. Andy Nowalk covers the current state of the COVID-19 pandemic, with evidence-based information on masks, cases, treatments, infection rates, vaccines, and the impact of the virus on children.
19. COVID-19 Vaccine Development & Safety (w/ Dr. Seth Toback), 11/30/20
Dr. Seth Toback, Vice President for Clinical Development of Coronavirus Vaccines at NOVAVAX, Inc, offers an inside look at the amazing work being done to produce vaccines for COVID-19. He talks at length about the science, innovation, and safety of the process, and the life-saving products that will likely result.
18. Tongue Tie & Breastfeeding (w/ Dr. Anna Meyer), 11/17/20
Dr. Anna Meyer, nationally renowned otolaryngologist and associate professor at the University of California, San Francisco, talks about the diagnosis and treatment — and misdiagnosis and mistreatment — of tongue tie.
17. Fussy Babies & Frazzled Parents (w/ Diana Schwab & Dr. Amy Maddalena), 11/2/20
Child development expert Diana Schwab and Kids Plus pediatrician Dr. Amy Maddalena talk about their work with babies who fuss and cry and just can’t seem to be soothed, and the toll that fussiness can take on parents and caregivers.
16. Breastfeeding & Lactation Support (w/ Dr. Amy Maddalena), 10/9/20
Dr. Amy Maddalena, Medical Director of the Breastfeeding Center of Pittsburgh, talks about the science and support of breastfeeding for Moms and babies.
15. Oral Health & Pediatric Dentistry (w/ Dr. Sara Ruby), 9/25/20
Pediatric dentist Dr. Sara Ruby talks about oral health for young children, including teething, toothbrushing, thumb sucking and pacifiers, the care of baby teeth, and when children should start seeing a dentist.
14. Infant Soothing & Sleep (w/ Dr. Harvey Karp), 6/29/20
Internationally renowned pediatrician Dr. Harvey Karp talks about research, techniques, strategies (including The 5 S’s), and products (including SNOO) for soothing babies and helping them to sleep.
13. Car Seats & Safety (w/ Dr. Ben Hoffman), 6/15/20
Dr. Ben Hoffman, a nationally renowned expert on child injury prevention, talks about the use, installation, safety, and science of car seats for kids.
12. Sex Education & Teens (w/ Samantha Bushman), 5/29/20
Samantha Bushman, founder and CEO of Talk, the New Sex Ed, talks about her research on how and where tradition sex education approaches miss the mark, her wildly successful alternative approach that evolved from that research, and insights on the subject for both teens and parents.
11. Allergies & Misinformation (w/ Dr. Dave Stukus), 5/15/20
Nationally renowned pediatric allergist/immunologist Dr. Dave Stukus talks (and busts myths) about seasonal allergies, food allergies, allergy treatments, the immune system, medical misinformation, and the Coronavirus “infodemic.”
10. Working & Breastfeeding (w/ Wendy Eson and Beth Ricciuti), 2/28/20
International Board Certified Lactation Consultants Wendy Eson and Beth Ricciuti share insights, tips, and strategies to help Moms transition back to work while breastfeeding their babies.
9. Addiction & Opioid Use (w/ Ryan and Valerie Homanics), 2/10/20
Author Ryan Homanics, now more than 5 years clean after a long battle with drug addiction, and his mother, Valerie Homanics, tell their story with incredible power and clarity, to offer a glimpse at the ways addiction can devastate a life and an entire family.
8. Technology & Family Health (w/ Professor Illah Nourbakhsh), 1/23/20
Carnegie Mellon University professor Illah Nourbakhsh talks about air quality, environmental health, productive use of screen time, and training kids for a technological future.
7. Picky Eating & Parenting Philosophy (w/ Matt Bittner), 1/6/20
Occupational therapist Matt Bittner offers tips, insights, and strategies for how to deal with picky eaters, and for how to handle mealtime (and other time) negotiations with your kids.
6. Games & Gameplay (w/ Kylie Prymus), 12/17/19
A conversation with Kylie Prymus, owner of Games Unlimited, about the pleasures of “old-fashioned analog entertainment,” some great kid and family games you probably don’t know (but should), and recommendations for different ages and game genres.
5. Nutrition & Food Choices (w/ Andrew Wade), 12/3/19
A conversation with registered dietitian Andrew Wade about general nutrition, different types of fats, the importance of balance, the myth of “healthy vs. unhealthy” foods, how to craft a complete meal, and his #1 tip for how to enjoy holiday eating (including sweet treats).
4. Child Care & Play (w/ Cara Ciminillo), 11/18/19
A conversation with early education expert Cara Ciminillo about the value of high-quality child care, what to look for (and what questions to ask) when evaluating a child care facility, how to make the best child care choice for your family, and the importance of play in early learning.
3. Flu & Flu Vaccines (w/ Dr. Don Middleton), 10/31/19
Disease prevention and immunization expert Dr. Don Middleton talks about the flu and the importance (and safety) of the flu vaccine, and also shares a few thoughts on shingles and the shingles vaccine.
1. Parenting & Child Development (w/ Diana Schwab), 9/27/19
A wide-ranging conversation with child development expert Diana Schwab about stages of development, potty training, separation anxiety, fussy eating, tantrums, biting, and other “things you can’t control.”